Friday, September 11, 2009

The official end of my summer vacation - I have a job!

I had a few calls and a few interviews over the summer, but nothing substantial. I was enjoying all the spare time, but the lack of $$ and the annoying things like filing unemployment each week and trying to find cheap health insurance were getting old fast. Then Scott had a great idea. Why not call Raymond and see if he knows anyone looking for a Technical Designer? I mean, all the childrenswear company owners know each other, so he might know somebody. I figured what could I lose?

He actually responded with a name and phone # for me. I called and left a message, but wasn't really expecting a call back.

Then I got a call back. Had one interview on a Thursday, a second one on Monday where they offered me the job and I started a week later. Same industry, same job, same building! I'm just one floor lower than I was before - hey, shorter commute!

Anyway, I've been here a month and a half, I really like it and everyone is really nice. Not quite the $$ I wanted, but better benefits - like getting out at 5:15 instead of 6:00. It makes a HUGE difference! And I have a former co-worker here as well.

So being laid off all summer had some positives:

- I got shit done!

- I started riding my bike every morning. The rides are shorter during the week now that I'm working again, but I make up for it on the weekends, like climbing up the great hill of suck on Call Hollow Road.

- It made me budget. I leave the credit cards at home now. And we cook at home more. I've also started a savings account because if this ever does happen again, I want to be ready.

No comments: